The West Virginia Secondary School Activities Commission recently released its Covid basketball modifications for the 2020-21 season, which is scheduled begin with practice next month.
- Face coverings are required if social distancing is not possible, and coaching staff and other bench personnel required to wear face coverings
- Scorer’s table personnel are also required to wear face coverings,including the timer, home and visitor team scorer.
- Handshake lines and handshakes before and after games are now suspended.
- No water bottles, cups or towels can be supplied for shared use, and shared water stations, water coolers and the like are prohibited. Each athlete will have to bring his/her own water.
- Schools are asked to reduce the number of people traveling when possible (recommendation, dress fewer players).
- Only the head coach from each team will attend the pre-game conference with officials using proper social distance measures (no players).
- Create separation between the bench areas and spectators. Spectators should sit on the fourth row or higher behind the team area.
- Cheerleaders will be required to wear face masks, face coverings.
Here are the guidelines for basketball officials.
- Referee only will attend the pre-game conference with coaches. Social distancing must be maintained.
- Officials are not required to wear jackets during pre-game.
- The jump ball will be eliminated and the visiting team will be awarded the ball first possession for throw in and it will alternate thereafter.
- Official may stand six feet away or greater from the player making the throw in and bounce the ball to the player on all throw ins.
- The lead official shall stand on the end line and bounce the ball to the free throw shooter during administration of free throws.
- Black neck shall be worn and used when social distancing is not possible.
- Gloves are permissible (clear).
- In lieu of signing the book, the referee shall give the scorer a 3 x 5 index card with the names and official number for each crew member.